Monthly Archives: June 2017

Mystery of nun’s unsolved murder is latest US documentary hit …

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore's Cathedral of Mary Our Queen is seen in Baltimore, Maryland

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore’s Cathedral of Mary Our Queen is seen in Baltimore, Maryland

A documentary about the mysterious killing of a beloved young Catholic nun half a century ago is the latest smash hit on Netflix, highlighting the popularity of true crime stories in America these days.

The series called “The Keepers,” which began last month, is a suspenseful examination of the crime committed in 1969. People with information about the case are now either deceased or elderly.

The nun, a cheerful, buoyant woman known as Sister Cathy, was 26 when she died. She was a teacher at the all-girls’ Archbishop Keough High School, and her students were crazy about her.

But there was apparently a dark side of the school, overseen by

Read more at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-4656288/Mystery-nuns-unsolved-murder-latest-US-documentary-hit.html

Next ‘American Crime Story’? Olivia de Havilland sues FX over ‘Feud: Bette and Joan’

Looks like Ryan Murphy might have a new storyline for “American Crime Story” on his hands, and it’s right in his backyard. Our sister site Deadline reports that legendary actress Olivia De Havilland is suing him and FX over her portrayal in the limited series “Feud: Bette and Joan.”

De Havilland is a two-time Oscar winner — Best Actress for “To Each His Own” (1946) and “The Heiress” (1949) — who is also known for her role in the 1939 classic “Gone with the Wind.” She turns 101 years old on July 1, and she’s alleging that “Feud” damaged her “professional reputation for integrity, honesty, generosity, self-sacrifice and dignity.” The suit further claims, “Olivia De Havilland did not give her permission for FX Defendants to use her name, identity, or likeness in ‘Feud’ or any of the promotional materials used by the FX Defendants to

Read more at: http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/olivia-de-havilland-sues-fx-feud-bette-and-joan-catherine-zeta-jones-news-591736208/

I write to serial killers, they write me back

“Some of them are grossly pornographic. Some of them start that way and talk about erections and stuff like that. Sometimes they want to play a game but if I say ‘no, don’t, I’m not interested in that’, I do get an apology.”

“People like [serial killer, rapist, burglar, and Satanist] Richard Ramirez, he just kept coming at me, with all of this ‘I want to do this to you, I want to do that to you’, and that continued until I changed post office boxes.”

Amanda Howard has been writing to serial killers for more than 20 years. Despite the creepy nature of some — notably a handwritten letter from Genesee River Killer Arthur Shawcross which reads, “Do you see me at night when you sleep?” — she says her work is for a good cause; to help solve crimes.

Read more at: http://nypost.com/2017/06/30/i-write-to-serial-killers-they-write-me-back/

Florida Mom Who Went from Homeless to Making Six Figures Shot Execution-Style in Front of Children

 

A Florida mother-of-three was fatally shot in her home on Thursday just hours after writing on Facebook about her inspirational journey from homelessness to making six figures.

Makeva Jenkins was fatally shot early Thursday morning after a masked suspect entered her Lake Worth home at around 2 a.m., according to a statement from the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office obtained by PEOPLE.

“Once inside an altercation took place resulting in the female victim being shot,” police said in the statement. “The suspect fled in one of the family owned vehicle’s which was later found abandoned a short distance away.”

Jenkins died later at a hospital. CBS News reported that Jenkins was shot in the head in front of her children. However, a police spokeswoman could not confirm those details.

The death came just hours after Jenkins wrote in a Facebook

Read more at: http://people.com/crime/florida-mom-homeless-six-figures-shot-killed/

Stepmom of Oregon Boy Missing Since 2010 Found Not Guilty on Unrelated Gun Charge

After a two-day trial in central California, the stepmother of an Oregon boy missing since 2010 was found not guilty Wednesday of a misdemeanor charge unrelated to the disappearance.

Terri Horman was charged with grand theft of a firearm in August 2015 after her roommate accused her of stealing it from their home in Marysville, Calif. From the beginning, she maintained she was innocent.

“Hopefully, this will allay some of her detractors now that she’s been found not guilty of this offense,” her attorney Adam Richards tells PEOPLE.

Horman — who was charged in Yuba County under her maiden name, Terri Moulton — has for years faced scrutiny after her then-stepson Kyron, 7, went missing the day she dropped him off at his elementary school in Portland, Oregon, on June 4, 2010. (Horman and Kyron’s father divorced in 2013.)

She has never been charged in Kyron’s case or named as a

Read more at: http://people.com/crime/stepmom-of-oregon-boy-missing-since-2010-found-not-guilty-on-unrelated-gun-charge/

Tennessee Man Convicted of Raping 10-Year-Old Boy: ‘Disturbing and Appalling’

 

Jurors did not take long to convict Jeremy Ledbetter, deciding in less than an hour the 29-year-old Tennessee man was guilty of sexually abusing and raping a pre-teen boy, PEOPLE confirms.

After three days of testimony both sides acknowledged was brutal for jurors to hear, Ledbetter, of Nashville, was found guilty of two counts of rape of a child, two counts of aggravated sexual battery of a victim under 13 years old, two counts of inducing sexual activity by a minor, and one count of display of sexual acts to a minor under 13 years old.

In a statement obtained by PEOPLE, the prosecution described it as “one of the most disturbing and appalling cases they had seen.”

At trial, Ledbetter’s young victim testified against him, telling jurors that the rape and abuse began when he was 10 and continued until he turned 12.

Read more at: http://people.com/crime/tennessee-raped-10-year-old-boy/

Jay Z’s ‘Story of ‘OJ’ from new album ‘4:44’ gives pro athletes sound financial advice

“I’m trying to give you a million dollars worth of game for $9.99”- Jay Z, ‘The Story of O.J.’ 

There’s nothing new under the sun. So, sometimes, it’s not what’s said, but who’s saying it that makes something resonate and receive the desired response. 

Jay Z released his 13th studio album “4:44” Friday to critical acclaim. On “The Story of O.J.,” the rapper-turned-mogul alludes to O.J. Simpson, using the Pro Football Hall of Famer’s path from the projects to the penthouse and ultimately prison as the inspiration for a nearly perfect cautionary tale packed with sage financial wisdom.

Though he may have never uttered the words verbatim, Simpson certainly lived the phrase, “I’m not black. I’m O.J.,” a famous line delivered by actor Cuba Gooding Jr. in “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story,” a 10-part series that aired on FX last year, and quoted by Jay in the song. Those words illustrate Simpson’s struggles with identity and entitlement that played

Read more at: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/jay-z-new-album-444-review-link-story-of-oj-tidal-sprint-download-listen-beyonce/1itxiyv98z6671o4i9ic6k4ocn

Cleveland murder case on Investigation Discovery series

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The true-crime cable channel Investigation Discovery will examine the 2014 Cleveland murder of Michael Days on the episode of “Murder Calls” premiering at 10 p.m. Monday, July 3. The episode includes re-enactment scenes with actors, as well as interviews with several people connected to the murder investigation.

The program’s description, provided by Investigation Discovery, says it begins with “the real-life 911 call a woman makes as she says a man forced his way into her Cleveland home, shot her boyfriend (Michael Days) in front of their kids, and fled. To find out who killed this young father and why, detectives will have to untangle a twisted web of jealousy, deceit and murder.”

Days, 31, was shot and killed at his West 46th Street home on Nov. 12, 2014. Although the subsequent trial was widely covered by Cleveland media, “Murder Calls” treats the outcome as a mystery followed to a

Read more at: http://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/index.ssf/2017/06/cleveland_murder_case_on_investigation_discovery_series.html